History of Norwood Presbyterian Church (USA)
In the late 1800’s Norwood was advertised as a “suburb” of Cincinnati, encouraging new residents. Presbyterians wanted their own church. Twenty-four citizens met in the old Town Hall, at Elm and Montgomery roads on May 1, 1887. On February 1, 1891, their first church, located at the corner of Smith and Floral in South Norwood, was dedicated. The congregation was growing, with large Sunday School classes and youth groups. Nearby (one block away) at the corner of Washington and Floral Avenues, a larger church, of English Gothic architecture, was built. That church building was dedicated on April 6, 1924. Membership in 1931 was 845. The strong leadership of Dr. Wm. T. Paterson, who served as minister from 1920 to 1945, contributed much to this growth.
Over the years the building had many renovations, including a ramp for the handicapped, and a parking lot. Members volunteered for many maintenance jobs, to keep the building in good condition. The building was used by Alcoholics Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous and VITAS (a grief counseling group). The Boy Scouts were sponsored by the church for 75 years.
In 2012, the congregation had to focus on a church life with a much smaller membership, and it was decided to maintain it’s identity as the Norwood Presbyterian Church rather than merge with another congregation or close it’s doors. In 2014, God led us to the renovated Hudson Dealership at 3846 Montgomery Road where our family has been reborn.
The church cooperates with the schools and the community. The Zion Food Closet, the Norwood Service League and the Health Fair are part of the mission of NPC. Ecumenical services are welcomed.
All is not work and worship. Fellowship, food and fun are part of the life and joy of Norwood Presbyterian.
From 1888 to 2005, twelve ministers have served. Three of them have been moderators of the local Presbytery and one was elected moderator of the denomination, the Presbyterian Church (USA). The ministers have been active in the Norwood Ministerial Association and ecumenical programs, including community Good Friday services and Martin Luther King programs.
Membership declined through the years, making it easier for individuals to know one another on a more personal level. A sense of “family” exists as members share their joys and concerns putting faith into practice.